We are experts in Consumer Law and all kinds of transactions which include elements of consumer protection law. In 2017 our Firm was commissioned by the Consumer Protection Service of Cyprus, to conduct an extensive research on the current state of consumer protection law in Cyprus and the EU and to draft a bill to be submitted to Parliament to amend existing consumer legislation and bring it in line with EU consumer protection legislation.
We design and implement consumer protection manuals, codes of practice and procedures and advise businesses on how to structure their contracts and advertisements in order to be fully compatible with the fast-changing EU and domestic law on consumer protection. We also represent clients before the Consumer Protection Service.
We also litigate on behalf of consumers and advise on their rights regarding the sale and supply of goods and services.
Areas of consumer protection law which we can advise are the following:
Advertising, Commercial Practices and Consumer Contracts:
- Directive 2005/29/EC on Unfair Commercial Practices.
- Directive 2006/114/EC on Misleading and Comparative Advertising.
- Directive 93/13/EC on Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts.
- Directive 2008/48/EC on Consumer Credit Agreements.
- Directive 2014/17/EU on Consumer Credit Agreements relating to residential immovable property.
- Directive 2002/65/EC on distance marketing of consumer financial services.
- Directive 2001/95/EC on General Product Safety.
- Directive 90/314/EEC on Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours.
- Directive (EU) 2015/2302 on Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements.
- Directive 2008/122/EC on the protection of consumers in respect of certain aspects of timeshare, long-term holiday product, resale and exchange contracts.
Sale of Goods and Services:
- Directive 2011/83/EU – Consumer Rights Directive.
- Directive 1999/44/EC on Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees.